GCSE

Simon Balle School follows AQA’s unendorsed syllabus which allows students to work in a variety of media.

This course aims to develop creativity and technical competence across a broad range of media, including painting, sculpture, ceramics, textiles, printmaking and IT.   The discipline common to all areas is drawing.
There are four main components:
three units of work make up 60% of the overall marks, with the remaining 40% coming from a 10 hour timed test.  All components must be supported by sketchbook research.  There is an annual exhibition and assessment of all components in May or June of Year 11.

Each coursework unit will have a theme title set by the teacher.  Students will be guided through a thorough exploration by means of demonstration, discussions, research and gallery visits.

Sketchbooks will form an essential part of the development of ideas.  They will  include ongoing research, experimentation and documentation of progress and must reflect connections made to the work of other artists and cultures.

Homework of at least two hours per week will be set to support the theme being explored.

Students following this course will need to
have a range of materials to use at home.  Students will need to be prepared to buy paint, brushes, pastels, pencils, new sketchbooks at regular intervals and a portfolio in which to keep work. The Art Department will provide paint and paper but ambitious projects and trips to galleries and museums will need to be funded by students.

Advertisements